Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Digitizing the Newman Western Canadian Cookbook Collection
Explore the Newman collection online. We are in the process of digitizing many
of the titles in the collection. All titles that are digitized will be available
to view in UFV's institutional repository, HarvestIR.
HIghlights from the Collection
How to Access the Newman Cookbook Collection
The following are the guidelines for accessing Newman Western Canadian Cookbook Collection which is located in the Abbotsford Campus library:
- The Collection is searchable through the UFV Library's catalogue (see the search box below). The collection resides in our Special Collections' vault which is only accessible by UFV Library staff.
- You will be asked to provide a drivers’ license or student card, which will be kept by staff while the cookbook titles are being used.
- A form must be filled out for each item used. If you are not a student or a community borrower, you will be asked to provide your name and address instead.
- Cookbook titles must be used with staff supervision. You must remain at the designated desk space at the circulation desk to use these special materials.
- Each item will be checked when it is returned to ensure it is in the same condition as when it was given to you.
- There may be times when we are short on staff to retrieve requested items (i.e. evening or weekends). You can make an appointment to view cookbook titles during times when we have more staff available to help. Please use our Reference Request Form (see link below)
Searching for Cookbooks using the Library's Catalogue
The Newman Western Canadian Cookbook Collection
To browse the collection, just hit the search button above.
You can also see what we have available in the main collection by using the search box or links below.
Examples of subjects in the library catalogue:
Request an Appointment to View the Collection
Request an Appointment
Appointments are available: Monday to Friday, 9:00am - 4:30pm (last appointment starts at 4:00pm) in Abbotsford
Find Books at Other Libraries
To find and request books from other libraries, try the following:
Search libraries in B.C. Click on Request this Item button to request the item; delivery time is 5-10 business days
Search libraries beyond B.C. To request an item, use our interlibrary loan forms; delivery time is 1-2 weeks
More information on requesting materials from other libraries.
WorldCat's Cookbook Finder
WorldCat Cookbook Finder
Cookbook Finder is an experimental, works-based application that provides access to thousands of cookbooks and other works about food and nutrition described in WorldCat records. You can search by Dewey, person, place, topic (e.g., course, ingredient, method and more) and browse related works by author and topic.
Need help? Ask us!
UFV libraries are OPEN
and ready to serve you for the Fall 2021 semester.