Skip to Main Content

Copyright: Coursepacks

Coursepack Submission

Before a coursepack can be produced,  you MUST submit the following documents to the Bookstore: 

1. Statement of Copyright Compliance

2. Completed Bookstore Copyright Log

3. Record(s) of Permission (if applicable)

The required document templates are attached here:

An electronic submission process is now available for the Statement of Copyright Compliance. No printing, scanning, or emailing is necessary:

Tests and Examinations

You can copy any copyrighted work for a test or examination, provided the work is not already commercially available.

Canadian Law and Legal Decisions

Reproduction of Federal Law Order

Anyone may, without charge or request for permission, reproduce enactments and consolidations of enactments of the Government of Canada, and decisions and reasons for decisions of federally-constituted courts and administrative tribunals, provided due diligence is exercised in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced and the reproduction is not represented as an official version.


UFV Bookstore & Coursepacks

You will need to work with Bookstore staff to produce a coursepack of printed materialsThe Bookstore will require submission of the Bookstore Copyright Log for Coursepacks and a signed Statement of Copyright Compliance, as well as copies of any necessary permissions for the material you wish to use. These two documents can be downloaded from the section Coursepack Submissions on the left of this page.

Follow the Copying Guidelines flowchart and the Fair Dealing Requirements to determine if you can copy works for inclusion in your coursepack. Copying outside of the Fair Dealing guidelines or without a licence or permission may result in personal liability for copyright infringement and/or copyright infringement claims against the University.

The cost of coursepacks can vary depending on applicable copyright fees, the number of pages and documents, and the volume of coursepacks being produced.  Those costs are reflected in the selling price of the coursepack.

For further questions regarding coursepacks, please contact our Coursepack Coordinator at local 4532 or

How do I Classify the Use of Content in the Bookstore Copyright Log

Fair Dealing:

The fair dealing exceptions of the Copyright Act allow you to copy “short excerpts” of content for educational purposes. A “short excerpt” includes: up to 10% of a work, 1 chapter from a book, 1 article from a periodical, 1 artistic work, 1 poem, or 1 entry from a reference work like an encyclopedia.  If 1 chapter of a book is more than 10% of the book, the 1 chapter may be copied. You must cite your source.

See the Fair Dealing Requirements for more information.

Library Licenses

Whether you want to make class handouts, compile readings in a coursepack, or upload an electronic file to Blackboard, if the content you are using has been provided by a library database, then you will have to ensure that the database license allows copying for a particular use. There are numerous library databases and numerous licenses, but is generally simple to check specific terms of use.

How to Find the License Terms, Step by step:

Step 1. Look up the journal publication:

Screenshot of library homepage with articles & databases link highlighted.

Search for a journal by title box with Canadian Journal of History entered into search box.

Step 2. Determine the database provider by the publication year of the article. Some journal articles are available in more than one database:

List of links of availability of articles in the Canadian Journal of History.

Step 3. Look up the database:

Step 4. Consult the Permitted Uses:

Example of Permitted Uses page:

The same content may have different license conditions depending on the database provider, so make sure to use the source with license terms that cover your intended use. Except in rare cases, it is always permissible to link to the content even if other copying purposes are not allowed. See Creating Persistent Links to Articles for DIY instructions.

Work Available on the Internet:

You may copy any Internet content (text, videos, audio, graphics, or anything else found online) only if the following conditions are met:

  • There is no clearly visible copyright notice posted that specifically prohibits copying for educational use.  Standard copyright notices (i.e. the copyright symbol  ©) on webpages do not restrict your ability to use content under this exception.
  • The content is legitimately posted (you have no reason to believe that it is online without the consent of the copyright owner).
  • There is no password protection or other restricted access to the content.
  • You cite the source (URL and the author/creator, if available).

To avoid copyright infringement, the best practice is to link to the content rather than copying.  If in doubt, link it out.

Instructor or UFV owns the copyright:

This is content you or UFV has produced. Examples include course syllabi, reading lists, and assignment outlines. For content that you have published, you need to be certain you did not assign your copyright to a publisher. Contact the Copyright Librarian if you are unclear about the copyright status of a published work.

With the Permission of the copyright holder(s):

You have obtained written permission to duplicate the content.  You MUST attach a copy of this permission for Print Services' records, and please retain a copy for your own records. See Permissions for more information on obtaining permission to use copyrighted content.

Alternatives to Making Print Copies

There are additional options for making copies available to students, such as:

  1. Providing students with a link, either to licensed e-journal or e-book content or to publicly available internet material
  2. Placing the original book/resource on Course Reserves with the University Library for students to borrow and make their own personal copy
  3. Adding the material to an E-Reading List or a Blackboard Course Page
  4. Using works that you have created yourself (if you have not assigned your copyright to another entity, such as a publisher)
  5. Seeking a license with the publisher or copyright holder for permission to make the material available to your students


If you must make printed copies of works to be used as handouts for students, you will need to work with Print Services.  As with your coursepacks, Print Services will require a signed Statement of Copyright Compliance, bibliographic information, and copies of any necessary permissions for the material you wish to use. See the Print Services section of this guide for more information.

Follow the Copying Guidelines flowchart to determine if you can copy the work.

The University of the Fraser Valley is situated on the traditional territory of the Stó:lō peoples. The Stó:lō have an intrinsic relationship with what they refer to as S’olh Temexw (Our Sacred Land), therefore we express our gratitude and respect for the honour of living and working in this territory.

© , University of the Fraser Valley, 33844 King Road, Abbotsford, B.C., Canada V2S 7M8