Here are the various widgets that are currently available to UFV. Check back occassionally to see if any new services are introduced or changes implemented.
- Gale Reference Collection (Gale)
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Oxford Reference Collection (ORC)
- Science Direct
- Sage Journals Online (SJO)
- Sage Knowledge also known as Sage Reference
- Cambridge Journals Online (CJO)
- UFV Library
What is a Search Box Widget?
Many database vendors have created “cut and paste” code which can be added to a webpage, creating a search box targeting their databases. You may set up single or multiple targets from each vendor. For example, you may wish to have students search a combination of Academic Search Complete and PsycINFO.
Why would I include this on a course page?
If your course involves some type of research assignment, you can recommend and direct students to one or more databases relevant to their topic. The search box widgets bring the databases to “where the students” are, rather than having to negotiate through the library’s pages.
Please note: These search boxes work well in Blackboard, but DO NOT work in Ironpoint, as of this time.
How can I set them up?
1. Choose the database(s)
2. Identify the vendor(s)
3. Customize your targets to create your own code
4. Include the library’s proxy server information
5. Cut and paste the code into your course page